The idiom “The sooner the better” is also true for tax return filing. However, we Indians being serious procrastinators, don’t actually believe one bit in it. We enjoy completing things at the last moment without realizing the consequences.
Most of the tax return filers have all the information required for filing their income tax return in the months of May-June itself. But they wait till the last date, i.e., 31st July, braving all the trouble caused due to slow servers and last minute rush.
It is not just the last minute trouble that you avoid by filing your tax return early. There are many other benefits that you get when you file your return well before last date.
- First of all, in May while you consult with a tax expert for your last year taxes, you also get a chance to discuss tax saving for the current financial year. Isn’t it better to rectify last year’s mistakes at the beginning of the current financial year itself than wasting your hard earned money making the same mistakes again?
- Secondly, if you file your return now rather than wait till July, there is a good chance that your tax refund, if any, will get processed sooner.
- Third, if you need to pay any additional tax, the sooner you file your return the lower the interest you have to pay on this additional tax. This additional tax (self assessment tax) may arise due to less TDS deducted by your employer on salary income or bank on interest income.
You get time to consult with a tax expert to claim all such deductions that you might have missed out declaring to your employer or your employer might have missed out while computing your tax and issuing Form 16.
All this is possible only if you file your return early.
Here we bring you a checklist that ensures that you save a little extra with efficient tax planning as well as be a smart and informed taxpayer:
- Align you tax saving investments to your financial goals
- Health is wealth – Invest in your health to enjoy your wealth
- Claim what is rightfully yours
- Income Tax Authorities know it all – report money from everywhere
- If it’s exempt, why hide it?
Click here to avail our tax saving solution – TaxOptimizer and a dedicated Chartered Accountant would be assigned to you shortly. Alternatively, you can write to our tax experts at firstname.lastname@example.org.