A lot of taxpayers, especially those who have started e-filing in recent years, are not familiar with the complete e-filing process including ITR-V submission and e-verification.
An income tax return (ITR) is not considered valid till a signed copy of ITR-V acknowledgement form has been submitted to Central Processing Center (CPC) – Bengaluru within 120 days of e-filing the return. Starting the last assessment year 2015-16, you can also e-verify your return within 120 days of successful e-filing.
In case you did not submit ITR-V or e-verify your return, here is an important update from the Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT):
You can still send your ITR-V to CPC or e-Verify your income tax return till 31st August, 2016, if you had missed to do so, thus completing your return filing process. Provided that the return:
- was e-filed
- pertained to assessment years 2009-10 till 2014-15
- was filed within time allowed u/s 139, i.e., return could be original, revised or belated
- was incomplete only due to non-submission of ITR-V form
What happens when you submit your ITR-V before 31st August, 2016?
- You would be able to get your refund kept on hold for non-receipt of ITR-V in time
- You would also get the interest on the refund due
- You can avoid the penalties for non-filing of return
What happens if you still don’t submit your ITR-V before 31st August, 2016?
- Your return would become invalid, i.e., it would be deemed not filed
- Refund due, if any, would not be processed
- In case you have carried forwarded the losses, it would not be allowed
- If there is tax due, interest on delayed filing would also be imposed
- There can also be a penalty of Rs. 5,000 for non-filing of return
- Read the circular for the extension of date for submitting the ITR-V for previous six assessment years here
- Click here to ascertain whether your ITR-V has been received by CPC
- Read the instructions to send ITR-V to CPC here
- Click here for the E-Verification process as an alternative to posting ITR-V to CPC
- If you need any assistance regarding this, click here to avail our IT-Department Followup service
Don’t wait anymore, start return filing for this year now!
START TAX FILING